The news site of Bullard High School.

Charger Online

Knights’ baseball season ends in Bakersfield

Jacob Slater, Staff Writer

The Knights baseball squad created a lot of momentum going into the playoffs this year, but its hopes of a Valley title were cut short in the quarterfinal round by a loss to Stockdale.

Bullard won its last 10 games of the regular season, then beat Clovis East in the first round of the playoffs with remarkable comeback in the bottom of the seventh.

The game was a struggle, as Clovis East is a young team with weapons it will grow on. After six innings, Bullard found itself behind, 3-0. The Knights couldn’t get anything going against Timberwolves junior pitcher Jared Aguilar.

That wasted Jared Villalobos’ effective start for the Knights. Two Bullard errors allowed the first two runs to score. At the plate, the Knights came up empty after a bases-loaded, no-out chance in the sixth inning.

The seventh inning was a different story.

Senior Derron Jansen led off with a ground ball for an out. Then Coach Chad Thornhill pinch-hit Jackson Simons for one of his few at-bats all year after he injured his knee. Simons singled to left. Noah Grove was called on to pinch-hit. He lined a single that hit first base, putting runners and first and second, the tying run at the plate.

Anthony Savala singled to center, bringing in Simons to score and sending Grove to third. Mark Topoozian singled to left, scoring Grove to make it 3-2.

Both runners moved up on a passed ball. Then Jay Luevano bunted for a single and tied the game, 3-3, in the process. Zach Sorondo struck out. Jake Newman walked to load the bases.

That set the stage for Christian Collins, who nailed a 2-1 pitch that bounced off the wall in left-center, winning the game for the Knights.

Junior Spencer Jarocki, who pitched the sixth and seventh innings, picked up the win for the Knights.   

After the win, the seventh-seeded Knights traveled to Stockdale, where they lost, 10-1. It was a disappointing loss, but four Bullard players were named to the all-County Metro Athletic Conference first team.

They were Asa Adams, Newman, Sorondo, and Villalobos, who also was named pitcher of the year.