‘The Greatest Showman’ puts on one of the Greatest Shows

Lauren Fernandez, Staff Writer

On December 8, 2017 the hit new movie-musical ‘The Greatest Showman’ was released. Some may say it was good, others may say it was great– well I say it was astounding! Everything from the acting, to the singing, to the dancing, even to the effects were just perfect.

The movie is based on the story of the famous  P.T (Phineas Taylor) Barnum who started the circus and show business itself. A round of applause to the talented Hugh Jackman; a high amount of people thought that he wouldn’t put on a great performance, but my, oh my, did he prove them wrong. The directors of the movie added a love interest as well with the amazing Zendaya and the famous Zac Efron.

One of the songs from the soundtrack was nominated for and and awarded a Golden Globe. The song ‘This Is Me” (sang by Keala Settle) is a heart felt song that states “If you’re different, then be proud and embrace it!” Not only did “This Is Me” win a golden globe for best original song of 2018, but the whole soundtrack is Number 1 on the Billboard 200. “This Is Me” has an amazing message that says don’t be scared to be different, be you and be great. I personally love to spread that message. The song writers Benji Basek and Justin Paul have outdone themselves once more. Basek and Paul previously won best original song for La La Land’s “City Of Stars” at the Oscars in 2017. Their talent is shown through out the movie which is very spectacular.

Most know Hugh Jackman as the famous Wolverine from the X-men movies. Logan (Wolverine) is a darker character and is very different from P.T Barnum, a fun, loving man that is full of life. His portrayal of the two contrasting characters just shows how great of an actor he is. It is such a dramatic change of characters, going from a fairly mean killer that tends to swear often, to a friendly, caring man that can sing and dance. “I recently did a movie called Logan which is quite dark; this is my present of light for everybody,” said Hugh Jackman in an appearance on the Ellen show. Overall, Hugh Jackman did a magnificent job as P.T Barnum and no one could have done better.

Fans went quite crazy when they found out that the two Disney legends Zac Efron and Zendaya would be playing each other’s love interest in the film. “Out of all my kiss scenes I have done, this one is my favorite by far,” said Zac Efron in one of his interviews for the movie. The romance that they had together in the film was so powerful that when you see them together there are sparks everywhere.

This film is one of a kind, and words cannot describe how great this movie is. Don’t miss out on the magic!

About the Writer
Lauren Fernandez, Features Editor

Freshman Lauren Fernandez is on the Bullard junior varsity water polo team. When she does not have practice, she enjoys singing, working out, and watching any and all Disney movies. Her goals for high school are to graduate as a valedictorian, to stay in water polo all four years, and to make her family proud. She wants to join Bullard’s Gay-Straight Alliance, so she can understand herself more and meet new people.