‘Black Panther’ Lives Up to All the Hype!

Lauren Fernandez, Staff Writer

One of the most anticipated movies of 2018 was finally released. Was Black Panther as good as some people are making it seem? Absolutely. Black Panther was one of the best Marvel movies yet.

Chadwick Boseman played the part of the Black Panther as if he was truly T’Challa. This movie had my emotions everywhere; there were so many shocking details to this story. It will have you amazed.

One thing in the movie that stood out to me was the handshake, which people are now doing everywhere: the handshake of unity. Throughout the movie, the people of Wakanda would cross their arms over their chest like an X. Why did they do this? The handshake symbolized unity and a “sign to black soldiers during the Vietnam war that they had each others back.” I thought it was really awesome that they incorporated that into the movie. It was really heartfelt for some people.

The director of Black Panther, Ryan Coogler, has outdone himself once again. Previously, Coogler had a $900,000 budget for Fruitvale Station which made 16 million, and a 40 million dollar budget for Creed, which made 173 million in the box office. Marvel gave Coogler 200+ million for Black Panther– the most ever given to an African-American director. You could see how much heart he put into this movie, which is really spectacular.

Many people thought that Micheal B. Jordan should not have played the character of Erik Killmonger because they thought he wouldn’t own up to the character. But Micheal B. Jordan did an excellent job playing Killmonger, the troubled cousin of T’Challa. His portrayal of the character was a great contrast to the other Royal members in the movie. Michael B. Jordan’s portrayal of Killmonger was a good character to play opposite of T’Challa.

Overall, the movie lived up to everything it was anticipated for. Once you watch this movie, you’ll want to watch it again and again. I know I do!

About the Writer
Lauren Fernandez, Features Editor

Freshman Lauren Fernandez is on the Bullard junior varsity water polo team. When she does not have practice, she enjoys singing, working out, and watching any and all Disney movies. Her goals for high school are to graduate as a valedictorian, to stay in water polo all four years, and to make her family proud. She wants to join Bullard’s Gay-Straight Alliance, so she can understand herself more and meet new people.