Bullard’s Boys Water Polo advances into the Top 8 in Division 1

Austin Peterson, Staff Writer

Last Wednesday, the Boys Water Polo team took on the Golden West Trail Blazers for the battle to get the number 8 seed in Division 1 playoffs.

To give some background, in 2015 Golden West won the entire Division 1 championship, beating out all of the top notch Clovis schools. In 2016, their team lost a lot of firepower and struggled through the season but still managed to get the eighth seed. Want to take a guess on who played them last year to compete for their place? It was Bullard.

As a member of that team last year, I remember how hard of a loss it was on us because it was the last game for all of our seniors and the younger classmates, and it felt as if they let them down. So now that you know the history between Bullard and Golden West, it’s time to talk about Wednesday,s game.

The two teams were pretty evenly matched. Golden West came in with a 19-10 overall record and Bullard came in with a 16-3 record. One of our 3 losses was actually against Golden West earlier in the year during a Visalia tournament, so I knew that our team was looking for revenge.

The seniors weren’t ready to be done with their final season; they wanted to improve on last year. Before the game, they always do announcements for each player on each team and at that time, all of the nerves went away because it was time to play and time to win.

The game started and it was clearly going to be a good game because after one team scored the other team would come right back and score to match the score. But Bullard ended up with a 2-4 lead over the Trail Blazers and the end of the first quarter. The second quarter was  identical and equally as physical. Both defenses stepped up to shut down each team and the score by half time was 4-6 Bullard. Our team was pumped up and we wanted to finish this game, but when the third quarter started, the Trail Blazers came out powerful and brought the lead down to one. But the Bullard team wasn’t going down without a fight. All of a sudden, opportunities starting coming for our team and we took off with a score of 10-5 by the end of the 3rd. Now since we had such a big lead our team was completely focused on defense and running the clock. Nothing much happened in the 4th but the final score was 7-11 Bullard and now we are moving on into the Division 1 playoffs.

We’ve already had a great season by winning CMAC’s but now we’re trying to see how much longer we can keep our amazing season going. We got our revenge!