Kids Day 2018

Joshua Ortiz and Julio Delgado

On Kids Day, students around the district volunteered to sell newspapers in order to raise $650,000 to give to Valley Children’s Hospital. It would break last years record of $630,000.

The Fresno Bee and ABC30 joined forces in 1988 to start what would become the Annual Kids Day. That year, only $57,000 was raised. The money raised would help provide the hospital with advanced technology. Last year, the hospital had 120,000 visits to the emergency room, making it the busiest pediatric facility in the year.

Kids Day has over 7,000 volunteers from over 20 communities selling a special Kids Day edition of the Fresno Bee in exchange for a donation to the hospital. Kids Day has raised more than $8.6 million over the past 30 years for the non-profit hospital that serves children and patients from an area that covers 11 counties and more than 45,000 square miles. Smiles bring children together from across the world of all ages.

The event is one of the largest fundraisers of the year for the Valley Children Hospital. Last year, Kids Day brought in $628,611 for Valley Children’s. At the end of this past Tuesday, about $117,000 in donations had been tailed.

The Hospital provides emergency and special care to children with medical needs. Students from Fresno Christian School and Fresno State noted they were in position and started giving out newspapers at 4:30 A.M. There were a lot of tweets from members from Fresno Football Club, the city’s new Professional Soccer team, Fresno Pacific University teams, and the Office of Black Student Success at Fresno State, as well as other campus groups and Fresno Major Lee Brand and the city council members.

About the Writer
Julio Delgado, News Editor

Julio Delgado is a junior at Bullard who loves to play basketball with his friends. His goal for this year is to pass geometry in Ms. Klassen's class....