Charger Online

New Leader of the Knights

Brenda Ruiz and Alexis Virgen

The voice that you now hear on the intercom during Bullard’s morning announcements is our newly elected Associated Student Body president, Mark Topoozian. Now that he’s the President, he has assured us that he will be working closely with Principal, Carlos Castillo, to implement change.

Castillo has been working to bring inclusivity and a louder student voice to Bullard by hosting Townhall meetings. It’s something that Topoozian feels should be the main focus, “I believe that school spirit is lacking. Every Friday students are encouraged to wear Bullard’s merchandise, and I rarely see that.” He agrees with Castillo that getting more students involved helps them feel more connected. “I want to support all classes, not only the senior class…” It’s typical for seniors to receive the most attention or activities from their high school because they’re the graduating class.

On May 19th, 2018, Topoozian defeated his only opponent, Brayden Sorrick to win the top position. He was humbled when asked about his victory, “I don’t think I expected to win. I didn’t want to get ahead of myself and get slapped in the face.” He doesn’t know, however, what the final vote tally was because the election results are mostly kept private, unlike citizen elections, “In that case, if there were a huge gap between the results, I wouldn’t want the loser to be hurt.” When mentioned in defeat that there are many lessons, he agreed that the election results should be transparent.

Student diversity in leadership and activities is a common topic of discussion. Some students believe that whether it is intimidation, no sense of belonging, or character traits, it’s hard for students to become active on campus. The majority of students at Bullard are Latino, however sometimes our campus does not reflect that in regards to leadership. We asked Topoozian what he thinks about the idea that ‘preps’ run our campus. He concluded, “If people don’t want ‘preps’ in office, they should run themselves. The ‘preps’ unfortunately are the only ones running.” He was sincere and agreed once again not enough students are involved in Bullard’s activities.

Topoozian attended Computech Middle School. He maintains a 4.0 GPA and after graduating next spring, he wants to attend an Ivy League college campus and major in medicine. He said nothing about future plans in politics, even though becoming student body president was a long held dream, “Ever since I was in middle school, I was at a graduation and as I watched the ASB president up there I decided I wanted to be just like him.”

In other election results, Bailey Arreola won the position of ASB Vice President. Jenna Ahart won the position of Secretary Treasurer. Finally, Aryanna Delgado won the position of Activity Commissioner.