The news site of Bullard High School.

Charger Online

Same-Sex Couples to be Included in Children’s Magazine

Shelby Domingo, Staff Writer

In a recent article from the Washington Post, the topic of same-sex couples was brought into light after the children’s magazine, Highlights, decided that they will include an image of a same-sex couple in their magazine in the near future. Although this decision created a great deal of controversy among Highlights’ customers, what they are doing seems to be perfectly normal.

There are a variety of reasons as to why the children’s magazine should include depictions of same-sex couples. One reason would be that the magazine has failed to acknowledge LGBT readers in the past. The magazine’s illustrations, which typically portray various types of families, failed to include families that represent the LGBT community.

Additionally, including same-sex couples in their magazine would more accurately reflect the different kinds of families in the world. Doing so would allow the magazine to fully represent the diversity of families, which would then appeal to more of the magazine’s audience.

Lastly, Highlights’ decision wouldn’t conflict with their intention and overall purpose of the magazine. Highlights had released a statement which said, “Whether incorporating families headed up by a grandparent or single parent, or including adoptive families, blended families, same-sex families, multi-generational families, and multi-racial families, our depiction of families is in support of our mission to help children become their best selves and understand that all families, including theirs, are important.” Expanding their range of families by including same-sex couples would only be in support of their overall positive intentions.

Though it is still opposed by many conservatives, Highlights should proceed to include depictions of same-sex couples. The decision would do more good than bad in the long run. It would more fully reflect the diversity in the world and promote unity and equality.