The news site of Bullard High School.

Charger Online

Kneeling During The National Anthem?

Xandra Lancaster, Staff Writer

This past weekend, the subject of NFL players kneeling during the national anthem became a hot topic again after President Trump commented on the matter; saying of players like Kaepernick, “Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a b**** off the field right now, out, he’s fired!’” This angered many NFL players and their coaches. Several players either took a knee or, in some cases, stayed in their locker rooms on Sunday, September 24th as the national anthem played; if I had some sort of influence, I would’ve been right there with them!

As Americans, they have the right to freedom of speech and peaceful protest, as stated in the first amendment. I am proud to say I have this right, it is because of that right that I’m able to sit here and write this. It’s because of that right that you are able to express your opinion in matters like this, and it’s because of the brave men and women of our military that we still have that right today. Wouldn’t not using that right be the greatest sign of disrespect?

If you’ve followed this protest from it’s beginning last season, then you probably know former San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Colin Kaepernick had kneeled during the National Anthem as a form of protest against racially related police brutality. It seems that this reason for protest has been forgotten due to all the worry about whether or not these players are patriotic, which to me is quite upsetting. We should be more concerned with why they are protesting than how they are protesting because their reasoning is a serious issue that needs to and should be addressed.

We all seem to think of countries like North Korea as inhumane for not allowing their people rights similar to our own, but if we’re going to tell people that their way of peaceful protest is wrong, even though they have the right to do so, doesn’t that make us hypocrites? Many of us hate the threat of having our right to bear arms stripped from us because it’s our 2nd amendment, yet when others are exercising the 1st amendment in a way we don’t like, we all of a sudden have something to say and think it’s wrong? Isn’t that also us being hypocrites?

If we would stop being so worried about whether or not these players are unpatriotic, then maybe we would see their reasons behind these protests and we could address and try to fix the issues they believe need to be fixed.