The news site of Bullard High School.

Charger Online

Baseball team going strong toward playoffs

Jacob Slater, Staff Writer

The Knights baseball team is looking for a strong finish to its season. After a so-so Easter Classic performance, the team put together a seven-game winning streak heading into its game at Sanger today (May 5).

Bullard, 14-10-1 overall, is in a solid position to take the County-Metro Athletic Conference title. The Knights are tied with Sanger for first place at 9-3 heading into today’s clash. They will finish the regular season next week at San Joaquin Memorial on Tuesday and against the Panthers again at home next Friday (May 12).

Rewinding to the beginning of the season, the team lost multiple games to Tri-River Athletic Conference opponents. From there, Bullard had a pretty impressive Central California Showcase tournament, taking down Elk Grove while allowing only one run. Then conference play started a little rough for the Knights.

After a 1-0 win over Madera South, Bullard lost an 8-5 battle with Madera, the difference a fifth-inning grand slam that put the Coyotes ahead for good. The Knights then suffered a 1-0, eight-inning loss to Sanger, followed by a 10-inning win against Madera South. Days later, Bullard lost to Madera South.

The tough Easter Classic came next for the Knights. They lost to a good Redwood squad, then bounced back with a victory against Buhach Colony, buoyed by a complete game by sophomore pitcher Mark Topoozian.

The sophomore came up huge for Bullard this year, resting the bullpen in big games against the likes of Madera, Edison, and Buhach Colony. But that all came after a tough outing against El Diamante in his first start of the year. He gave up five runs in two innings, including a grand slam, to a high-powered offense. 

“After the El Diamanté game, I couldn’t let it get in my head,” Topoozian said. “I struggled, but I knew that wasn’t me.”

Topoozian also showed that he’s no joke at the plate, either, hitting nearly .300.

“I’m glad I’ve been able to do what I can this year, but it doesn’t really matter if I don’t take it into the playoffs,” he said. “Our team has something going, and we are definitely in a better place than we were a few weeks ago.”