Bump, Set, Spike!

Hannah Christensen, Staff Writer

The girls’ varsity volleyball team at Bullard High School jumps onto the court with energy ready to fight for every game. They give it their all, starting with the warmups and battle for every point. Their preseason record was 4-5, and their current season record is 3-5. The girls work hard at practice, so it can pay off during the games.

Varsity’s most recent tournament was a tournament in honor of John Writing. John loved the sport of volleyball and put his heart onto the court, unfortunately he had passed away from a heart attack. Each year his family hosts a tournament in honor of him. At this tournament his family gives out two scholarships to the two people who they believe play with their heart, just like John Writing did. Each school’s coach picks one senior varsity player who represents the style in which John had played. This year Catie McCormick was one of the winners of the John Writing Scholarship.

Senior, Catie McCormick is one of the teams’ three captains. She shows that she is passionate about the sport and wants to work hard to improve her skills. On the court she is a leader by using her voice and passing down advice that she has received during her years playing volleyball. Encouraging your teammates is a key aspect in the sport. She lets her teammates know that she cares for every one of them. Every player has room for improvement, but not every player chooses to work as hard as necessary. Catie has her own journal that she uses to write down the things she needs to work on.

Coach Dakota, who assists the varsity volleyball team, has been playing volleyball for many years. He decided to coach at Bullard because he had played for Coach Verduzco, the boys varsity coach, and Dakota appreciates what he has done. Coach Dakota likes how this sport relies on a team, and not an individual player. He tries to translate his experiences and his skillset to his players. As a coach, motivation is a big role, he reminds his players that they have the tools to be successful. After games he plans out his practice by recognizing the faults in the game and making drills that revolve around them. Dakota has said, “for the rest of the season I am looking to build momentum with our last two regular season matches, to prepare us for playoffs.” Overall, the volleyball team has worked hard and has fought for every game throughout season.

The girls’ varsity team getting ready to receive a serve from the San Joaquin Memorial Panthers. They were up by one and ready to fight for every point