Time to Dive into a New Season with the Swim Team

Aris Welch, Department Editor

The swimming and diving season for 2019 has officially begun and the schools in the league are eager to win. They have been preparing for the upcoming season for months, and not just from swimming every day, but from working out in the weight room/gym, to eating healthy complete meals, and more. By the looks of it, it is going to be a tough season this year with how hard these student athletes are working.

One of the first meets of the season is the CMAC/NYL Preview. All the schools in the league, both CMAC and NYL, come together to race each other for the first time in the season. San Joaquin Memorial, Edison, Madera High, Madera South, Sanger, and Bullard are the schools in the CMAC league. Hoover and Reedley are just two schools in the NYL league. The schools in the league have pre-season meets, or scrimmages, that do not count for the season, but are established to see where the swimmers are at so far in the season, the CMAC/NYL Preview is one of those meets.

As the coach of the Bullard Knights Swim team, Richard Klatt said, “Bullard High School swimmers and divers performed quite well and established many in-seasons best times.” Even though Coach Klatt is the Bullard Swim coach and what he says about his team may come off as being biased, but he is not wrong about Bullard’s performance. Bullard, in the individual races, came out on top in almost every race, but where we really shined was throughout the relays.

For a meet that was not counted for the season, the schools and crowd were pumped up for all the events, especially the relays. In a medley relay there are four people that each swim 50 meters (two laps) of Backstroke, Breaststroke, Butterfly, and/or Freestyle. The girls 200 Medley relay came in second right behind Madera High. However, for the boys 200 Medley and 400 Free Relay, they came out on top with an astounding finish from Senior, Jacob Coleman in both races.

About the Writer