What it Takes to Be a Champion at CMACs

Aris Welch, Staff Reporter

Another swimming season is ending, but it is not over just yet. The County Metro Athletic Conference Championships for swim are right around the corner. Six schools are in the CMAC league and each year the schools have a rotation to host it. Fortunately, this year it is Bullard’s turn. Many things from the swimmers can be done in order to prepare for the meet. Preparation for the championship meet typically begin two to three weeks prior, however, everything swimmers have been doing in practice and meets are getting them ready for this. 

Bullard’s swim practices are vigorous and difficult as is. From the short, but fast time intervals the swimmers must make, to the all-out sprinting and powerful long-distance sets. Bullard’s coach, Richard Klatt, pushes his swimmers to make them grow before the season ends. Working hard shows great results, but when the days to competition are

The top three relay teams that placed from the Girls 400 Free Relay at CMAC last year. In first was Sanger, then came Madera, then Bullard.

coming close, it is time to cool down. About two to three weeks before the championships the teams begin to taper. Tapering is the act of reducing the amount of one’s exercise prior to a meet. Before tapering begins, the Bullard swim team tends to go train at a fast pace throughout the season, then the pace of the practice slowly decreases. Junior, Kate Hancock says, “I like it because I feel like I’m saving energy and that it’s not just bull.” For swimmers, along with other athletes, tapering is a key ingredient to an optimal performance, and who doesn’t enjoy easy practices. 

The diet of the swimmer is also one of the most important things, before a large meet and overall. Nutrition is extremely important as is, but when being an athlete, it is crucial to maintain good  health to strive to be your best. As head coach of the swim team Richard Klatt states, “Eating healthy is the best way to go.” From eating lots of protein such as fish, tofu, and chicken, to eating healthy fats and carbs, and delicious fruits and vegetables. The better the food that you put into your body, the better your body will run and perform. 

Along with eating healthy and tapering, one of the last things swimmers do to get ready for a large meet, is shave. Shaving is a great way to reduce resistance and drag when swimming. With shaving, also comes the suit. Two different types of suits can be worn at this meet. The usual generic suit or a speed or tech suit. A speed or tech suit is designed to compress the bodies of swimmers and have even less resistance when in the water. These suits are not necessary, but they do help with improvement. 

Thus, as the high school swimming season ends, each team and swimmer within the league is doing their best to perform for the CMAC championships, however each swimmer must take it upon themselves to watch their diet, to work hard at practice and know when it’s time to rest, and lastly how to mentally and physically prepare their bodies. The first official CMAC meet will be on April 25th and continue on the 27th where we will watch these hard working swimmers compete head to head.