New ‘Nutrislice’ App Available for Students throughout FUSD

Mekhi Harrison, Staff Writer

Can you imagine planning your school meals from home using an app? Nutrislice is a new app that is now available for all students in Fresno Unified School District. From just a few taps on your phone, you can plan nutritious meals that suit your tastes. All you have to do is scroll down to find your school site and select a breakfast or lunch menu. Then, appearing before your eyes, will be an array of delicious items to choose from.

“We have added many new meals to our breakfast and lunch menus. Things such as a breakfast tornado made with whole grain tortillas, hot and spicy burritos, pork sliders, chicken tenders, Pho soup, fish sticks, macaroni and cheese and much more,” explained Jose Alvarado, Director of Food Services for the school district.

Alvarado says everything is made with whole grains and in compliance with state-mandated nutritional standards. He takes pride in the new menu because most of the food is gathered from local farms. “We give our students the freshest food available. Let’s not forget the valley is the bread basket of the nation and in some parts of the world.”

Alvarado’s idea of students using a food app is something he created to help students and families plan their diets. “When we see a student with a headache or one that is sluggish, you can believe that student is lacking nutrition. Diet plays a very important role in academic success.”

He takes his job personally because he grew up poor in rural Wasco. Alvarado says they had little food choices and ate a lot of sugar laden food that led many members in his family to become diabetic. That’s when he began his journey to explore the relationship between nutrition and health.

“I learned how to balance my diet with healthy choices when I became an adult. My goal is to teach young people the importance of food and health. That’s what I do, and that’s what I love. We’re saving lives.”

The food services expert is working on an ambitious plan to make the Bullard cafeteria look like a food court. Already displayed in the cafeteria is a neon menu which is considered to be high tech. Alvarado designed the elaborate layout of the high tech food court cafeteria at Gaston Middle School.

“I’m proud of that cafeteria– it is what I’m proposing throughout the district,” he said with a twinkle in his eye.