Black History Month

Alexis Virgen, Staff Writer

On February 23rd, a program took place in the lecture hall at Bullard, explaining everything you would need to know about getting into college and such. Guest speakers, such as Anthony Bailey, Dr. Gloria Rodriguez, and Brooke Ashjin, all came to speak to students, involving poems written/recited by Giana Dickson and Karen Carrillo.

Many students coming from different races had come to this program to see what these guest speakers had to say, whether it was about ways to improve your education or motivational quotes and poems. Bailey gave each speaker a warm introduction, and even gave a speech of his own to the students and speakers.

Gloria Rodriguez had spoken about what it was like to attend a historical black college. She stated that she had first attended college when she was thirty-six and proceeded to describe the hardships she had faced. She even shared one of her own poems she had written from the heart. She works with the district to help young students get the highest education.

When Brooke Ashjin spoke, some people misunderstood his words and walked out of the lecture hall. In one of his examples of explaining the failure of education involving all the different races, he used the term “your people” two to three times. He had each race, from Caucasian to African American, stand up and proceeded to explain the success rate of each race in its reading course.

Karen Carrillo wrote a poem that was beautiful and inspiring. She stated the hard truth about what colored and transgender children had to go through each day of their lives. She stated that “time is running out for the improvement we need in our future,” and we have to do something about it now.  

Giana Dickson had recited a poem called “Legacy” by Maya Angelou. She had described the pros and cons of being a black woman. Nonetheless, she said she was proud of her color and wanted others to be proud of theirs.

Anthony Bailey ended this program with very strong words and thanked everyone for attending. Each speaker had been awarded for giving very useful information to everyone.