The Man Who Taught a President

Austin Peterson, Staff Writer

February has came to an end, the month dedicated to represent Black History and honor our former presidents. I would like to talk about one of the most important and influential African Americans/presidents in our country’s history. That man is the first African American President of the United States: Barack Obama.

There was absolutely no way I could have possibly interviewed the former President of our country, considering the fact that he is Barack Obama and I am just a student from Bullard. So I began to look for possible connections that people at this school could have had with the former President, and I found Doug Wheat, a math teacher and coach on campus.

Mr. Wheat used to live in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. He worked as a life guard and a hobie cat instructor. A hobie cat is a small sailing catamaran, and Mr. Wheat mastered them all. He then began teaching younger people from clubs and/or schools.

In 1979, he was hired by a high school where Barack Obama was enrolled into– so now our former president knows how to sail because of one of our math teachers! I asked Mr. Wheat, “What was it like to realize that you were a former teacher of our President when he was in office?” He said, “At first I didn’t remember, but then one of my co-workers from Oahu called to tell me that we used to teach him and it was very weird knowing that I was around this man when he was younger.”

He continued, “This is how I teach kids, I never focus on what the kids are right now. I tend to focus on what they will be in the future, focus on the potential that they have and if one of my students can become the President of the United States, that means that any of my students could do the same thing. They all have so much potential and can become whatever they want to be.”

Coach Wheat continues to influence young minds and takes pride in their accomplishments. Aye aye, Captain.